Reviews. Ratings. Stories. The "Dick in the Popcorn" trick.

If it's about a movie...or going to a movie...or, Christ, even watching TV...you'll find it here in "Moog's Movie Reviews!"

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Monsters vs. Aliens" - Gooey Goodness in 3D

Today I'm reviewing the movie:

Monsters vs. Aliens


Because I'm still doing this shit one-handed, I'll make it quick.

My wife hears this every third Saturday night.

She cries sometimes.

Regardless, we took the kids to see "Monsters vs. Aliens" at an IMAX Theater.

IMAX + 3D = HOLYFUCKSHIT


(sorry for the math)



Synopsis:

Monsters vs. Aliens revolves around a central character, Susan (Reese Witherspoon successfully animated to have her weird chin removed) who is hit by a meteor on the day she's supposed to marry he fiance, Derek (Paul Rudd! Hooray!)

The meteor infuses her with an alien element that causes her to become ginormous. Of course, the military steps in - captures her - and puts her in a super-secret facility with several other "monsters" they've captured.


When an alien actually detects the presence of this element on Earth (inside Susan) , he begins his quest of retrieving the element and destroying the planet in the process.

When the military fails to destroy the alien invasion, it calls upon the monsters to do the job.

My Review:

It was good, not great.

The 3D effects and animation, combined with the monster, B.O.B, (voiced awesomely by Seth Rogen) save this movie from being somewhat shitty.


I think the majority of laughter I heard was coming from adults in the theater, but my wife said my she had never heard my 5-year-old son laugh so hard in a movie before.

The movie starts off slow and may be a little confusing for kids at first - but it picks up when Susan is thrown in with the monsters and ramps up from there.

If your kids like movies and animation, take them to see it - the 3D alone is very impressive.

My Score:

2-1/2 Mooge Splats (out of a possible 4)



3D is the way to go.

I'm just gald they didn't digitize Reese Witherspoon's chin.

I can't imagine that thing coming right at me.

Moog out.


***********************
Want to be a reviewer? Send me a review!!

Want a movie reviewed? Let me know!

Email me here, or via the link on the right of the page and we'll see what we can do.

***********************
Haven't had enough?

Come swing by and see me at my other blog, Mental Poo.

***********************

2 comments:

Jen said...

Now I don't know if I should take my son to see this.

I could take him to the "cheap show" where they have the non-3D version...

Douglas said...

Good question Jen. I've got a 4-year-old. Should I take him to the 3D or 2D? He's a bit of a pussy but nothing major.