Reviews. Ratings. Stories. The "Dick in the Popcorn" trick.

If it's about a movie...or going to a movie...or, Christ, even watching TV...you'll find it here in "Moog's Movie Reviews!"

Thursday, June 26, 2008

"Gangster" Rap


It’s time once again for Moog’s Movie Reviews!!

When you're watching a movie with me, just remember...

...that sticky stuff around your feet may NOT be the butter from the popcorn.

Tread carefully.

Today's review is off my Netflix List:

"American Gangster"

I needed to watch this because it had been sitting in my house for three weeks, stopping disk 4 of “Rescue Me” from showing up.

Come on...Denis Leary...firefighters...

...wanton nookie involving Gina Gershon without the mention of Bill Clinton...

YOU CAN'T LOSE.


But I digress…

I was hesitant to watch this movie – even though Derek had given it his blessing – for a couple of reasons:

1) It was 2 hours and 40 minutes long
2) My wife wanted to watch it


With those two combined, it was tough to try to find a time where I thought my wife would be able to stay awake for an almost three hour long movie that she wanted to see.

Normally, watching a movie with her is similar to this:

Me: “You ready?”

Wife: “Yep. Start it.”

(I press “Play”)

Wife: “Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz”


So, this exact same thing happened during American Gangster, and I ended up watching it alone.

It was a VERY good movie (I’m a big fan of Russell Crowe), but long at almost three hours.

Typically, after two hours, I start to lose one interest point for every 5 minutes spent.

Sometimes, I need to use my calculator to decide when I’ve had enough.

But – that didn’t happen here…and it kept me interested enough to keep watching up until the end.


Denzel Washington:

The opening scene sets the tone for his character where he sets a guy on fire and THEN shoots him.

Wife: “Why did he light him on fire if he was just going to shoot him anyway?”

Me: “Maybe he was cold.”

Russell Crowe:

Typically awesome, as usual.

The movie runs these characters in parallel (they never actually see each other until the end), so there are actually two separate story lines running through the movie.

Although the movie is about Denzel’s character, Russell Crowe’s character is more developed and you understand him more.

Maybe we should have asked him about the fire/shooting thing.

My Score:

Three Mooge Splats (out of a possible four)




Moog out.

***********************

Haven't had enough?

Come swing by and see me at my other blog, Mental Poo.
***********************

3 comments:

FreeOscar said...

So were yo able to do the Asian chick asleep on your couch?

LBluca77 said...

I also had this movie for like a month and was just never in the mood to watch it. I ended up returning it. Maybe when it is on HBO I will finally watch it.

AngryMan said...

If you like Rescue Me, you need to watch the predecessor to the show, The Job. Dennis Leary was a detective and it was frelling hilarious.